2013年3月21日木曜日

Higher-ups ask, "How do your studies make money for us?"

When I was 16 years old, I was in a baseball club. I was not a player, but my role was to help players do training efficiently. Some of my friends asked me, "what are you doing that shit for?" Well, I was doing that just because I liked baseball -- neither more nor less.
Since then I've been asked, "how is it useful?" from time to time, not only about baseball but also my studies.

My major at college is International and Cultural Studies and now I'm studying in a program called Digital Culture and Communication at Blekinge Institute of Technology(BTH) as an exchange student. We are thinking of our way of living in this digital age by learning digital rhetoric, cultural studies, and language studies; how can we, human beings, get along with technology?
I am very glad to get the opportunity to study in this program at the technical university since this is all about the relationship between man and technology (in whatever range the term is defined).

However, our program is now facing a difficulty. BTH has made a decision to cut down the number of their students and for that purpose they will no longer admit new students to any social science programs, including our program. They can't afford to manage the "useless" studies anymore. But why don't they think our program is worth keeping? Do they know what we are concerning about? Digital Culture and Communication program would be a great feature of the education at BTH in five years. Their loss is really big but they don't realize that.
I mean, I respect engineers and it is apparent that we can't live without technology but technology can't exist by itself, can it? They should have considered about it more carefully.



0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿